Within the settings tab of your application dashboard, the channel rules for the app are listed at the bottom of the page. Only users with admin privileges will be able to change channel rules.
Channel rules are used to enforce settings on individual channels or channel namespaces based on the provided channel namespace field. Every app has a special default channel rule that applies to all channels unless a match is found in another configured channel rule. Note a channel namespace in a rule will match on any channel within that namespace or any channel with a name that matches that namespace. For example, a channel rule with the configured namespace of "rss" will match the channel name "rss" as well as the channel "rss:news" which is a channel within the "rss" namespace.
Each channel rule has the following configurable settings:
- Persisted messages - If enabled, all messages within this namespace will be stored according to the storage rules for your account. You can access stored messages via the History API. Please note that for each message stored, an additional message is deducted from your monthly allocation.
- Require identification - if enabled, clients will not be permitted to use (including to attach, publish, or subscribe to) matching channels unless they are identified (authenticated using a client ID). Anonymous clients are not permitted to join or publish to these channels. Find out more about authenticated and identified clients.
- Require TLS - if enabled, only clients who have connected to Ably over TLS will be allowed to join the channel.
- Push notifications enabled - when checked, a push notification payload may be included in the extras field of published messages which will in turn ensure a native push notification is published to all subscribed push notification devices for that channel. Find our more about push notifications.
Setting up channel rules
1. Visit your app dashboard
2. Click on the app settings tab and add / edit / delete the rules
3. Configure the channel rule
If you need any further help, please reach out on our support portal and we will be happy to help you.